Saturday, March 5, 2011

Funny or Die

I really enjoyed the visit from the brothers, despite some of the scary advice they had about the industry.

The biggest question that they answered for me was their business model. I always wondered if sites like Funny or Die and College Humor could actually sustain themselves solely off of site advertising, so it's cool to see how they've basically evolved into a small advertising firm. This would not be possible without ingeniously building the reputation they have. However, while the site obviously has a good creativity team, I would say most of their reputation comes from the star power they are able to recruit.

I've gone to see many talks from alums in the industry and would say this one was the most interesting and informative. However, I think they were the most pessimistic about conventional Hollywood, most likely since they became successful through non-conventional means. They made it sound impossible to become successful in the industry, while I think it is still very possible. Sure, it may take a little luck, but I think hard work and passion will land intelligent and creative people a job. Hopefully they don't prove me wrong!

No comments:

Post a Comment