Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Shooting on the [RED]

Last week I was granted the opportunity to work on a short film shooting on a [RED] camera. After seeing the quality of images in The Social Network, I was totally stoked. However, after working on this film, I realized digital production gives you more opportunities to take footage because the "film never runs out."

The director of this surrealist film allowed takes to go on for 5 minutes sometimes, which is absolutely not a possibility in the low-budget film production world.

So I ask the question, does digital technologies make filmmakers more relaxed because the medium is much less finite than the analog film? I would say yes.

I found it remarkable last week we took several takes of each scene with a lot less rehearsal. I mean the [RED] is just burning binary code, but still is it art if it takes significantly less time to get the performance perfect.

Granted, I love digital technology, but I wonder how drastic the art form of production is changing due to this technology.

Here is a fun video of my adventures last week:

No comments:

Post a Comment