Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Effects of Changing Media

I have often wondered who puts up funny (or not so funny) videos on the internet.  Most of the time we don't know who posted the video on Youtube or how it eventually got forwarded to us by our grandma (actually I'm still not sure how that happens).  Seeing Farrah brothers and other contributors to Funny or Die caused me to rethink my assumptions about viral videos.  I have always just supposed that videos were posted by other school kids with a lot of time on their hands but after the presentations this week I feel like I have a better understanding of just how many people have jobs either putting up content for us to consume or maintaining the sites where videos are posted.  I enjoyed having the opportunity to hear from a variety of people at FOD and learn about their various roles in updating the site.

After hearing about how viral videos are produced and marketed, I began to wonder if the FOD videos are where media is heading.  Also how have viral video production and aesthetics already had an effect on other media?  I think an exploration of this topic would lead to some interesting insight on the way one media is informed by and informs other media.  It seems highly unlikely that viral videos can be so popular and multiple so rapidly without having some effect on other modes of film and video production.  I don't think that films in the future will be two minutes or less but you never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment