Thursday, February 17, 2011

Funny or Die: The Key to Reaching Viral Status

Admittedly I had never heard of Funny or Die before starting in this class, but it was great to talk with two of the lead people and learn the kind of things they do during the day (unfortunately my class on Friday prevented me from talking over video chat). I learned a lot about what it takes to make the kind of videos they have on the site, but one thing I noticed is that all the videos are relatively short. I believe that is the key to reaching "viral status" of any video placed on the Internet, and I'm pretty sure that is what one of our speakers said as well. In order for something to go viral, it needs to be funny, and it needs to be short enough that people can watch it while on a break from work or school, probably only about 5 minutes maximum. Sure it's possible that a longer video could go viral, but it seems unlikely, as the type of people likely to see the video and make it popular don't want to spend 10 minutes watching something on the Internet and then email it to all their friends. This was very beneficial for me because I am in the process of making videos for my group, and since I don't have a lot of skill involved with this type of work, any little bit helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment