Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Funny or Die and/or Profit

Meeting executives from an established new media company is an opportunity I couldn't pass up.  I've always considered myself an early adopter of technology and new media.  I signed up for a Twitter account in February of 2008 well before the majority of my friends did and, ever since, I have been fascinated by what new media can offer.  It would be ideal if I could work at Funny or Die, Mashable, YouTube, or another new media company after college.  I finally had my chance to learn more in these three meetings with Funny or Die executives and writers.  The main topics I wanted to bring up with Mike and Chris Farah were making money in a new media business, promoting/growing a new media business, and getting a job in the new media field.

Funny or Die implements brand marketing strategies to incorporate brands willing to pay for the publicity into original funny videos.  This marriage is a win-win-win situationn where brands get their product name out there, users enjoy watching humorous and well put together videos, and Funny or Die makes a profit. Funny or Die, like many sites, also offers space on their site for advertisements for additional revenue.  Who knew it could be so easy?  Of course, Funny or Die would not be where they are now without a selling point.  Will Ferrell and Adam McKay who founded the site also starred in many of the early videos.  Celebrities at first wanted to co-star with them to show off the scope of their acting abilities, but as users flocked to the site for a glimpse of big celebrities in a rather informal setting, the Funny or Die name became popular enough for celebrities to want their own segments.  This was the key to Funny or Die's success in tandem with professionally made videos in an internet setting.

Finally, getting a job in a new media business isn't too different from any other company.  One's chance in a job offer heavily depends on the connections he/she has with others.  Being in the right place at the right time with the right people seems to be a winning combination for landing a new media position.  Looks like I have some work to do if I ever want to have my dream job in the new media field.

No comments:

Post a Comment