Sunday, October 9, 2011

Order Your Very Own Facehugger Plush Today, Or: How I Learned to Stop Buying and Love My Wallet

I'm not one to shy away from movie or television related merch, which is admittedly not something that I'm extremely proud of. I own a leg lamp, a "BMF" wallet, the Beavis and Butt-head "Winger" shirt that Stuart always wears, and so much more. Yet all of these are somewhat practical; my leg lamp keeps my movie cave well-lit, my wallet holds money pretty well, and my t-shirt can double as average douchey film-student attire and average awesome Halloween costume (it's the first time I've been thankful for matching blond hair since Vanilla Ice was cool, which for me wasn't all that long ago. I did not get the memo until just recently and was crushed.).

Then there are things like this:

http://www.neatoshop.com/product/Alien-Facehugger-Plush

Really? I love Alien as much as the next guy who loves Alien, but really? When does the line blur between having fun and being just plain being weird? At $29.99, people are buying a plush alien inseminator. If you really want to relive one of the more GAAAAHH NO! moments in contemporary film history, give me two shots of whiskey, a turkey baster, and some Gogurts. For the low-low price of $10, the terror is yours.

It reminds me of theme parks and direct interaction with film and television characters, but in such a weird way. Whatever it is that people want to live out with this thing, it's not in any way, shape, or form practical. This is the sort of thing that exists only as an extension of the film to invade your home and trick you into thinking that you've invaded the film yourself. It's cute as hell, but I'll pass.

(Side note: while writing this, I nearly purchased an apron that looks like Batman. It's nearly winter and I'm a vegetarian. If I were a hippo, my name would be Chris.)

No comments:

Post a Comment