Sunday, November 20, 2011

The importance of symbols


I thought this was really amazing, and wish I would have been there to see it. This is in no way a political post, I have no strong or passionate feelings regarding the Occupy Wall Street Movement, but reading this interview gave me something to think about regarding the importance of symbols as a way of giving people hope and a sense of purpose. The comparison of the "99%" projection on Verizon Tower to a kind of "bat signal" got me thinking that in a way, the symbol or idea of the superhero is more important than the hero himself. Then all this internal talk about symbols and messages got me thinking about V for Vendetta, and how awesome that movie was. Speaking of which, is V technically a superhero, or just a freedom fighter? I remember talking about this in class but forgot what the consensus was.

No comments:

Post a Comment