Thursday, December 1, 2011

Man or Monster: A Superhero's Lament

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0zpxC6O7nE

After watching The Muppets I remember this song. However, I feel like this song could be a superhero lament. For some reason I can picture Darkman singing this song by replacing the word "Muppet" with "monster".

The Beginning of the "Tormented Superhero Lament":

I reflect on my reflection
And I ask myself the question
What's the right direction to go
I dont know

Chours
Am I a man or am I a monster
(Am I a monster)
If I'm a monster then I'm a very manly monster
(Very manly monster)
Am i a monster or am I a man
If I'm a man that makes me a monster of a man

(A monster of a man)

This new song holds true to the tormented soul of so many superheros: Darkman, Batman, Rorschach. With the rise of the flawed superhero, I think there might be a need realize we no longer want a Superman. We want realistic heroes. Heroes which struggle with the same stuff we struggle with.

No comments:

Post a Comment