Sunday, December 4, 2011

Our last screening: DISCUSS

After checking to be certain that the end of the semester is indeed approaching like that freight train Denzel and Captain Kirk were on...I thought I'd start an online discussion about showing something more undead on Wednesday night and make it a fun last screening. Also, I do really think everybody should read that Chuck Klosterman piece I gave you the info for during our last class. It's damn smart.
So, here's my list so far. What movie were you thinking of (if I can get or stream it)? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
Zombies on SCMY's list:
-Dead Snow (zombies! Nazis! Zombie Nazis!)
-Dawn of the Dead (1978)
-Versus (martial arts + zombies, could be good?)
-Shaun of the Dead--I love this but we've all seen it, right?


Not Zombie but good and I've seen and can recommend more readily: is Beetlejuice a zombie or a ghost? more ghost. I think the film American Movie is Brilliant and All Should See It.
Um, Gattaca is pretty and all about the technology. Brazil runs long. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou inverts many of the same structures and tableaus from epic "superhero" films. 2046? Too many options? A Mystery Science Theater episode perhaps?
So...thoughts?


7 comments:

  1. I vote for Dead Snow. I also second the opinion that American Movie is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If either of the DotD films, it MUST be extended. I have both in extended if necessary, Also the library has the Original extended cut. They are both vast improvements over the theatrical versions.

    My Choices:
    28 Days Later
    The Crazies (1975)
    Dawn of the Dead (1978)
    Dawn of the Dead (2004)
    Resident Evil
    And just for laughs: House of the Dead 2

    Well?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I worry that 28 Days Later might be too scary for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Twilight: New Moon
    Underworld
    Underworld 2
    Van Helsing

    ReplyDelete
  5. From IAN:
    Psychomania (Zombies on bikes)

    Demons (Dario Argento protege Lamberto Bava with awesome hair metal soundtrack and the requisite 1980s punks up to no good. Plus we have a 35mm print of it)

    Shock Waves (Zombies! Nazis! Zombie Nazis! - See Dead Snow above)

    Return of the Living Dead

    The Omega Man - or Last Man on Earth with Vincent Price for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. -Super
    -Evil Dead 2
    -Return of the Living Dead

    I think "Super" is pretty enjoyable, but fair warning, it has one hell of a mean streak to it. It's similar to "Kick-Ass," only with a lot more bite (it takes more of the "Taxi Driver" approach to vigilantism) and for about 10% of the production budget. I dig it, but it may not be for everyone.

    "Evil Dead 2" is among the few movies I would consider perfect entertainment. Not much more to be said about it.

    "Return of the Living Dead" is a forgotten semi-parody of Romero films. It's pretty fun, but it runs out of steam around the midpoint. Still, though: good flick.

    ReplyDelete